Re: Red Carpet 0.9 beta

In message <20010223120145 A10288 ziggy>, Renze de Ruiter writes:

>There are a lot of RPMs out there made by people other than Ximian or RedHat
>or whoever, which, because of the inexperience of the packager, may have
>faulty dependencies.  This fact will make Red Carpet, in it's current
>incarnation, want to remove the "offending" RPMs, even if the user doesn't
>want them removed. It's not just about tarballs.

>This is an important issue that needs to be addressed before Red Carpet wreaks
>havoc on unsuspecting users.

Don't install these broken RPM's!!!  My /usr/src/redhat/SPECS directory has 134
files and I don't have a single unresolved dependency on my system.  If you
have dependency problems you might as well not use RPM at all.  (I have a
system like this at home where I only install packages via tar files, but I'd
never dream of putting a system like that in production.)

You should never need to use --force.  If you've done it without understanding
the implications, your system is broken.

When you find a broken RPM, grab the source RPM and rebuild the RPM to fit your
system.  Then contact the author with your fixes.  (I've checked in a number of
spec file fixes to GNOME CVS.)

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts linuxsavvy com>  http://linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts