Re: Red Carpet 0.9 beta

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 04:56:26PM +1300, Renze de Ruiter wrote:
> > Other than that, and the Red Carpet fix to at least ignore the screwed up
> > part of your system, are the only fixes you'll have for now.  Sorry... :(
>
> I'm not sorry... so what if my RPM database has some dependency issues, my
> system works fairly flawlessly.  If Red Carpet chooses not to allow me to
> install software because of the RPM dependency issues, that is a problem for
> the authors of Red Carpet, not me... I will simply not use their software.

I've been biting my tounge through this whole thread, but I just have to
jump in.

Package management exists for your convenience; that's it's whole role in
life.  It's thier to make your life easier.

Now, you can choose not to use it, and, lo, you're system will run fine.
You can choose to mix and match tarballs and rpm's/deb's.  You cannot
expect (and it is, in fact, unreasonable to do so) your package managment
tool to know about it.  How could it possibly know that you've been
maintaining an old version of RedHat, mixing and matching RPM's and
source tarballs?

I understand the source of your complaint; Red Carpet is doing too good
a job trying to clean up your system dependencies.  However, it is
wholly unreasonable to say that their software is somehow faulty because
it doesn't take into account your particular brand of system mangling. :)

You truly cannot have it both ways; either you want a package manager that
follows dependencies for you (apt, red carpet), or you want one that doesn't
(but also could care less what you do outside it's limited realm of
understanding).

I'll crawl back under my rock now...

Adam

--
adam sysadminsith org - (http://sysadminsith.org)
Evil Lord of the Sysadmin Sith Darth Rmdashrf