Re: edit files over ftp

> this is my first post in this list and also my first time using gnome /
> ubuntu. So my question:is there a way with to edit files over ftp?

No.  There is no persistence or range (or file) locking in FTP.

>  What I'm doing wrong.

Nothing.

The best nautilus could do would be to copy the file locally, let you
edit it, and transfer it back transparently.  But this would not be a
safe operation because there is no way to assure the file didn't change
on the other end in the mean time.