Re: Locking the Desktop

This is a difficult one, in a environment with many users, it's nice to lock a screen so nobody could tamper with your applications. But it's not so nice when an employee have left for the day and left the screen locked. The administrator may as well have left, leaving no option to unlock the screen in a proper way. The solution is to reboot the mashine with all the possible trouble that could result from that kind of violence. This is an actual scenario, their boss told this story over a beer to me a few years ago. Their machines used Windows NT, and the rebooting broke a machine a week on average. To my opinion, locking the screen is unwise, better have the user to log out. Espesially, automatic locking by screen saver is a source of problems.

Cincerely,
Sigmund

David A. Cobb wrote:

Running UBUNTU Hoary, GNOME 2.10.0

Please advise me which screen-locking application to use to make "New Login" available. It was working, but a recent update has left it so that only the user who locked the desktop can unlock it; a different user cannot start a new session.

If it matters (as it may), I also find I cannot switch out to one of the virtual consoles.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.