Re: Global Proxy Settings

On Fri, 2001-12-28 at 01:16, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> "James M. Cape" <jcape ignore-your tv> writes:
>
> > So far, I have these keys:
> >
> > int /system/proxy/type:
> >     Default: 0
> >         None (0)
> >         HTTP (1)
> >         WinGate (2)
> >         SOCKS4 (3)
> >         SOCKS5 (4)
>
> Maybe use a string here instead of a pseudo enum?

Ok... uhh... why? :-)

> > I'm hoping to reach a conclusion on what keys to use and who installs
> > the schema soon, so any opinions are more than welcome.
> >
> > (I'll write a capplet for gnomecc2 that changes these settings after the
> > above issues are settled :-), since what I'm doing would require that as
> > well.)
>
> Sounds good, though I think the idea of capplets has gone away in favor
> of instant-apply dialogs.  You've prolly noticed that, though. (-;

Yeah, it's trivial to write one for this stuff, I think (depending on
what changes happened to libcapplet, obviously).

> > The library is GLib/GObject 2.0,
> > [http://jimbob.myip.org/software/libgtcpsocket-1.0.tar.bz2]. Obviously,
> > it's not finished yet.
>
> I think it's fine to ship the schemas with this tarball.  If it moves to
> libgnome or something in the future, we can move the schemas then.

Ok, I'll put the schema there for now... The lib is LGPL and uses
OpenSSL right now, which is a huge can o' worms politically/legally for
libgnome (I'd prefer it stay separate at the moment for that reason).

Is this ok by the Evolution/Nautilus people? I know Nautilus 1.x stores
some proxy prefs for gnome-vfs in /system/gnome-vfs/{stuff}, and I've no
idea what (if anything) Evolution does...

    Jim Cape
    http://www.ignore-your.tv

    "No cause, no God, no abstract idea can justify the mass
     slaughter of innocents."
        -- Edward Said