Re: Global Proxy Settings

"James M. Cape" <jcape ignore-your tv> writes:

> On Fri, 2001-12-28 at 01:16, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > "James M. Cape" <jcape ignore-your tv> writes:
> >
> > > So far, I have these keys:
> > >
> > > int /system/proxy/type:
> > >     Default: 0
> > >         None (0)
> > >         HTTP (1)
> > >         WinGate (2)
> > >         SOCKS4 (3)
> > >         SOCKS5 (4)
> >
> > Maybe use a string here instead of a pseudo enum?
>
> Ok... uhh... why? :-)

More extensible.  More readable from a gconf-editor.

> > > I'm hoping to reach a conclusion on what keys to use and who installs
> > > the schema soon, so any opinions are more than welcome.
> > >
> > > (I'll write a capplet for gnomecc2 that changes these settings after the
> > > above issues are settled :-), since what I'm doing would require that as
> > > well.)
> >
> > Sounds good, though I think the idea of capplets has gone away in favor
> > of instant-apply dialogs.  You've prolly noticed that, though. (-;
>
> Yeah, it's trivial to write one for this stuff, I think (depending on
> what changes happened to libcapplet, obviously).

libcapplet is dead.  We're arguing about what the dialog should look
like, though...

> > > The library is GLib/GObject 2.0,
> > > [http://jimbob.myip.org/software/libgtcpsocket-1.0.tar.bz2]. Obviously,
> > > it's not finished yet.
> >
> > I think it's fine to ship the schemas with this tarball.  If it moves to
> > libgnome or something in the future, we can move the schemas then.
>
> Ok, I'll put the schema there for now... The lib is LGPL and uses
> OpenSSL right now, which is a huge can o' worms politically/legally for
> libgnome (I'd prefer it stay separate at the moment for that reason).

Erk.  Yeah -- I think we'll ignore that for now.  It'd be good to get a
usable SSL solution at some point.

> Is this ok by the Evolution/Nautilus people? I know Nautilus 1.x stores
> some proxy prefs for gnome-vfs in /system/gnome-vfs/{stuff}, and I've no
> idea what (if anything) Evolution does...

You'd be a big hero if you migrated nautilus to use an installed
schemas.  The current GConf use in nautilus is pretty dubious -- moving
to this would be good.  We may want to move the schemas file to
libgnome/schemas, in this case.

-Jonathan