Re: Location of Desktop Preferences menu (was Reducing the number of special uris in gnome)

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 13:09, Mike Martin wrote:
>  --- Chipzz <chipzz ULYSSIS Org> wrote: > On 2 Jul 2002, Andrew
> Sobala wrote:
> >
> > > I agree with doing away with the preference submenus and
> > launching
> > > nautilus instead.
> >
> > No, launching gnome-control-center instead.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Chipzz AKA
> > Jan Van Buggenhout
> > --
>
> This has to be one of the more stupid ideas I've heard lately.
>
> Why when for example, a user wants to change their font size should
> they have to wait for a seperate application to load rather than just
> click a menu item.

Maybe this could be configurable in a GConf key. But, for example,
sometimes I have wanted to play with sawfish settings and not known
which capplet the setting I wanted would be under. To access these from
the menu as it stands now, that's Applications -> Desktop preferences ->
Advanced -> Sawfish -> Capplet. Using nautilus means that people
"playing around with different settings" don't have to keep going to the
same sublevel since it's open in the nautilus window.

On the other hand, there _is_ the disadvantage that a nautilus window
loads although this is hardly noticeable on my machine. Maybe
configurability is the answer.