Re: Location of Desktop Preferences menu (was Reducing the number of special uris in gnome)

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Mike Martin wrote:

> From: Mike Martin <redtuxxx yahoo co uk>
> Subject: Re: Location of Desktop Preferences menu (was Reducing the
>     number of special  uris in gnome)
>
>  --- Chipzz <chipzz ULYSSIS Org> wrote: > On 2 Jul 2002, Andrew
> Sobala wrote:
> >
> > > I agree with doing away with the preference submenus and
> > launching
> > > nautilus instead.
> >
> > No, launching gnome-control-center instead.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Chipzz AKA
> > Jan Van Buggenhout
> > --
>
> This has to be one of the more stupid ideas I've heard lately.
>
> Why when for example, a user wants to change their font size should
> they have to wait for a seperate application to load rather than just
> click a menu item.

This just proves that you're totally clueless:

In your scenario, "use nautilus to start the control-cnter", you have 2
a) nautilus is started, you get a delay in starting nautilus.
b) nautilus is started, you get no delay in starting nautilus.

In my scenario, "use gnome-control-center to start the control-center",
you have 3 options:
1) nautilus is installed: gnome-control-center uses nautilus, which is
   the same as your scenario, cfr. above.
2) nautilus is not installed: gnome-control-center starts using its own
   shell, which is really fast, faster than starting nautilus anyway.

Also there has been talk about introducing a gconf key which controls
wether you use the shell or nautilus. Which I presume doesn't work when
using nautilus.

Now which one is best?

Please, get a clue before calling someones idea stupid.

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                  UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                            Chipzz ULYSSIS Org