RE: Extending the panel

I like the idea of the appledock very much (although I never used it),
but please don't forget that everything has to be optimised for it to
make an idea really work. This was IMO always a problem of free
software, implementing features of other systems without making sure
that everything works perfectly together.
For example the "icon opens current window instead of new one" isn't
quite usefull when you don't have your icons at the same place as the
docked applications. Also the OSX docks resize feature makes it probably
a _lot_ more usefull. This screenshot seems to show this pretty nicely:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/media/801.jpg
I agree that this is probably a much better way to switch between
windows than the taskbar but it wouldn't be a good idea just to put all
options in. It should be done _right_ from the beginning, whatever
_right_ is. :) Fact is, if we just do a simple applet now that places
minimizes windows in there, it would just be a cheap ripoff of the OSX
dock, nowhere as usefull as the competition.
And there would be other problems... For example, should only minimized
windows be docked or all windows? If all windows, would the miniimage
have to be updated all the time? That would suck a lot of CPU power. But
only showing minimized windows wouldn't be a real replacement for the
taskbar so it would be very inconvenient for people on low resolutions,
running all their apps in fullscreen.
It's extremely difficult to get taskmanagment completely right, even if
you only support "one way"...
I wish we would replace the taskbar with something more innovative
though...

-Daniel