Re: Providing Proxy support for Gdict. Need inputs.

Narayana Pattipati wrote:

Joe Shaw wrote:
On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 01:06, Narayana Pattipati wrote:
a) Provide HTTP proxy support. But the server dict.org at port
  2628 is not recognising HTTP commands. So http proxy
  support is ruled out.
Probably pretty unlikely for most proxies these days, but you could
perhaps tunnel through using the CONNECT command on an HTTP proxy.

 I am using tunnel mechanism only to connect to dict.org:2628. But I
am getting HTTP/1.0 500 Server Error in response. Error 5XX means server failed to fulfill an apparently valid request. So I feel
 dict.org at port 2628 does not support any http requests.

That is because dict servers speak the dict protocol, rather than http.

I think the suggestion was that you connect to an http proxy and send the command "CONNECT dict.org:2628 HTTP/1.1", which would give you a direct connection to the dict server. However, most proxies are set to limit what ports they will allow CONNECT commands to connect to (generally they only allow 443 for https), especially the ones that would block 2628 to start with. This would make the feature useless in many situations.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au 2003 Call for Papers out
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ |   http://conf.linux.org.au/cfp.html