Re: background/font capplets

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 06:31, Bradford Hovinen wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 22:43, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > So my understanding is that we have a grid:
> >
> >         old backend     new backend
> > old UI     A
> > new UI                     B
> >
> > So we have A, and Seth wrote B; I haven't looked at the code, but I do
> > understand Seth's point that adding the other two cells basically
> > triples the work to make the change. If we're ending up at B anyway, I
> > don't really get the point of the exercise, I have to admit.
> >
> > What is the rationale here? Just ease of reviewing the patch? Or do
> > you really only want half of it in the end?
>
> Please allow me to clarify: My rationale for this is that, when properly
> done, the patch to change the UI builds on the patch to change the
> schemas. Only a minimal duplication of effort is required. I have
> several issues with the patch that Seth wrote, particularly that it is
> not using property editors (thus making long-term maintenance more
> difficult) and that it relies heavily on global variables. There may be
> a justification for this, but I have requested one and none has been
> forthcoming. Hence my decision. I am also concerned, as you suggested,

I've already talked to you about the property editors. They are a
semantically limited construct, and only useful when they are going to
be re-used. The only thing not using a property editor are the toggle
buttons, which need more care than a property editor can provide because
of the preview images. Should I write a one-use throwaway background
property editor?

-Seth