Re: panel prelight on focus

John Harper <jsh unfactored org> writes:
> If possible I think it's best to keep this specialized logic out of the
> window manager.

That's the whole point of _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK, though - to
special-case docks. You have to do so anyway to get the key navigation
between docks to work correctly (Alt+tab, etc.), there is no way to
have a window manager that doesn't understand the whole "dock" thing
or have a policy on how dock focus/keynav will work.

>  There is only one panel but n window managers so it's
> more likely to work correctly that way.

I don't think we should optimize for that. We should make things work
correctly with window managers that implement the whole WM spec, and
extend the spec as required. If N window managers want to implement
the spec then great, if they don't then we don't support those
configurations.

There's no way to get all the little behaviors right otherwise.

> But if this kind of special casing is required, we should make sure it
> works correctly with the KDE panel (which presumably is also of type
> DOCK)

Yep - the WM spec needs to have at least implementation notes on this.
Looking at KDE (2.2 I think) it doesn't appear to be possible to focus
the panel at all...

Havoc