Re: PATCH: panel run dialog redux

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 05:09:54PM -0700, Frank Worsley wrote:
> > This was intentional so that you could type:
> >
> > gedit
> >
> > And then browse for the file to edit.
> >
> > Really how often do you browse for the actual application binary and how
> > often for a file you wish to open.
>
> I thought that was pretty confusing, so I changed it to always just set
> the text.

I like better the idea of changing the button text to sya something other
then browse.  Maybe "Append file".  Browsing for the binary is utterly
unuseful.  But browsing for iles to open is actually useful.

> It doesn't lookup the icon when you type in a command though. I am not
> sure how to best do that, since you would have to look at every entry in
> "all-applications:/" and see if the EXEC value matches the command and
> then load that icon. Seems kind of expensive to do.

It's not that bad, and we use the menu cache anyway and that's how we do the
program list.  We can do this in an idle when the user stopped typing.  It's
pretty trivial and doesn't have to take too much time.  Loading the items is
trivial and quick anyway, it's loading icons that takes a long time.  Plus
most of the time you already have things in memory

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   War is much too serious a matter to be entrusted to the military.