Re: cvs build

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 09:13:30AM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Feel free to commit any automake-1.7-isms to libbonobo[ui], however I
> got shafted by some incomprehensible moan about plugin-common.$(OBJNAME)
> being foo'd twice somehow; I don't quite see why jrb's simply removing
> that from the Makefile.am should be correct but perhaps I didn't dig
> enough.
>
> 	Needless to say; it's pretty appalling that moving from one autotools
> to a very subtly different one should cause such gross breakage.

I got the Official Explanation on the plugin-common.$(OBJNAME) thing,
and it is broken with 1.4 too, it's just that 1.7 is smart enough to
complain about it. The problem is that you are putting plugin-common.o
into both a library and a binary. But to go in the library it has to
be built as PIC and use libtool, while in the binary it would be done
differently. So basically automake doesn't know how you want
plugin-common.o to be created.

The simplest fix is to put it only in the library, then link the
binary to the library. Or you could do a noinst_LTLIBRARIES
convenience lib (build plugin-common.o into a static lib then link it
into both the library and the binary).

I'm not sure you want me to commit the automake 1.7 stuff, because it
probably breaks distcheck in not-easy-to-fix ways.

> 	It could be down to pre-processor problems; we fork gpp to pre-process
> the IDL files; can you tell me precisely what versions of what autotools
> you have so I can pour yet more time down the ever expanding autotools
> hole ?

I'm using the autotools from "jhbuild bootstrap" - which makes it all
the more weird that this seems to be a RHL 9 specific problem.

autoconf 2.57, automake 1.7.3

Havoc