Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 14:00, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 09:08, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
> >
> > > But all of this is what the proposal process is meant to address -> it's
> > > up to you guys to convince us to include your software.
> >
> > Ahr, this came out wrongly. That's not how it should always work, and
> > certainly not for every proposed module. Some things are proposed almost by
> > default - fontilus and nautilus-cd-burner are good examples of these.
> > They're already regarded as stable, have obvious maintainers, simple goals,
> > are appropriately aligned with the goals of the desktop release, fill nice
> > feature gaps that users will like, etc.
>
> I feel cheated. Nobody said anything against adding Totem to the desktop
> release, and it has all the properties enounced above. Why is it not
> getting in the desktop release ?

If nobody said anything before against adding Totem to the desktop
release before then let me do so now (sorry Bastien).

I think that adding a media player to the desktop release that do not
use the standard media backend and do not use the standard gconf keys
defined for audio and video ouput and which contains functionality
already bundled with nautilus-media would be a mistake.

The GNOME 2.x series is supposed to be about creating an integrated
desktop where the 1.x series to often had the feel of a meta project for
separate projects and adding Totem would be a typical GNOME 1.x kinda of
addtion due to reasons mentioned in the first paragraph.

I think if that if we really want to be shipping an official media
player for 2.4 then gst-player is a better candidate at this point in
time. The only real strenght Totem/Xine has in the comparison at this
point in time is support for more properietary formats, none of which
any of our major distributors will probably dare ship anyway, which
makes the point kinda moot, because people who want to view those
formats would have to download extra packages to do it anyway.

Christian

--
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <Uraeus linuxrising org>