Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

<quote who="iain">

> I also think that for an application to get into the official GNOME
> desktop should be harder and have a much more stringent set of
> requirements to adhere to. This restriction will result in less "core"
> applications, but I think with the above proposal (and with the ease to
> find other blessed software) it should result in less arguments, less
> buised egos and more choice for the user.

Remember that we're discussing proposals at the moment, and not all of the
modules will make it in. I personally think that it's far too early to
choose a media player (one has an 'undesirable' dependency, the other most
likely won't work to its potential, etc).

It comes down to a 'greatest common factor' of usefulness. IM apps can be
found in most desktop environments now (Mac OS X, Windows, etc), as can
media players (that's why everyone's jumping up and down so much about
them), along with web browsers, email clients, etc., etc.

> If I was into all that redtape nonsense I'd write a G.E.P. for it, but I'm
> not, so this email will have to do.

Have you been reading the list? ;-) Our friend, GEP 10:

  http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-10.html

I have some changes I want to post about this GEP, too. Grr.

- Jeff

   "Boys will be boys, hackers will be hackers, geeks will be geeks, and
     cyberpunks will always just be ravers with Macintoshes." - Monkey
                            Master, Crackmonkey