Re: galculator should be included in Gnome.

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> The release team received this suggestion - seems there are quite a few
> people agreeing that galculator "feels" a lot nicer than gcalctool, though
> there have also been suggestions that the code is less than desireable.
>
> gcalctool certainly needs some appearance love. :-)

Interesting. I've been working with Calum Benson since January, taking
his HCI suggestions and implementing them. Sounds like you don't think
that that is sufficient. Where are the bugs and/or rfe's reporting the
problems against gcalctool or the requests for enhancement?

One of the main objections for gcalctool not going into GNOME 2.2 was
that the basic calculator was not simple enough. We've spent a lot of
time hopefully rectifying that.

What exactly do you think still needs fixing/changing?

One thing to consider when comparing calculators is how accurate is the
answer you get.

Try this experiment:

Add 1234567890 x 9876543210

galculator gives an answer of 1.21932631113e+19

gcalctool gives 12193263111263526900

In fact galculator doesn't seem to allow you to enter numbers with
more than 12 digits and does it's arithmetic using doubles. gcalctool
allows you to enter upto 40 digit numbers and uses multiple precision
arithmetic internally.