Re: GNOME ABI review

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 17:04, Luis Villa wrote:
> At some point, though, we've got to go ahead and seriously ditch the
> old stuff- it sounds like maintaining the deprecated APIs for some of
> these libs is going to be very hard, given that the 'correct' behaviour
> is so much different than the current behaviour. [see: mime, vfs]

	The VFS is highly non-worrying to me; this is partly because - when I
started digging at the OO.o VFS (UCP) - I discovered a rats nest of
non-intuitive behaviour, ill-defined interactions, pointless interface
methods, and badly implemented backends ;-) [ and that was just the
standard 'file' backend ;-].

	Of course - no user ever noticed that, and the typical use case for all
interesting work was just 'open', 'read', 'read', ... 'close' - which
works fine. I imagine the only VFS behavior really worth rigidly
supporting is that.

	Regards,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot