Re: proposal for MIME behavior in GNOME

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 17:18, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> I have written a proposal for handling MIME types and files better in
> nautilus at:
>
>   http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/mime/

>From the proposal, under the "Open with other application" section:

> It is similar to the simple 'Run Command' dialog, and will share the
> same code. There are two differences, though.
> [ ... ]
> Second, there will be a check-box to let you add the selected
> application to the list of applications that can open the file's
> MIME-type.

Does this mean that the file's .desktop file will be edited, or will
this info be stored somewhere separately?  Will the checkbox be checked
on by default the next time this window with the same mime type is
opened, and will the user be able to turn it off?  For mime types
specified in the .desktop file, can those be turned off or will they be
grayed out?

> Additionally, in the case where you are opening a file that doesn't
> have any applications associated with it, the list of all available
> applications will be made visible for the user.

Isn't this what is always happening?  If not, what's the shorter list in
the case where there are applications associated?

Other than that, it looks pretty good.  The text "Open With Other
Application..." when there isn't an application that can handle it feels
a little awkward... it gives me the impression that there should be
something there but isn't, but I understand that it's there for
consistency's sake.

Joe