Re: proposal for MIME behavior in GNOME

Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com> writes:

> I have written a proposal for handling MIME types and files better in
> nautilus at:
>
>   http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/mime/
>
> In it, I describe some of the changes I'd like to make to make the user
> experience of opening files better.  If anyone has any suggestions for
> this, please follow up to this list.

I think there's a problem with the file property tab in that it will
confuse the conceptual model the user has of the system. If I
right-click a file, I would expect that all options within the
properties would only affect that particular file. It feels wrong.

 I attended a usability course last year, and we were very much warned
about lumping things inside the same window like this. :-)

Would it be possible to instead have a button or something similar
that opened a separate window with the intended contents of the tab?
I think that would make the distinction between local and global
properties much clearer.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/