Re: [g-a-devel]Re: Proposed implementation agnostic GNOME Speech API.

Hi Rich,

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 09:57, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 17:47, Rich Burridge wrote:
> > In short, I've created an implementation agnostic set of wrappers for
> > the existing GNOME Speech v0.2.X API that used GObject. It hides the
> > existing Bonobo/ORBit2 implementation under the covers.

	Actually looking at the code, this doesn't seem to add a whole lot to
me. I don't think providing a different API hides much more of the
implementation really.

	The bit that really needs fixing is creating a new API for system-wide
driver instantiation, to remove the gross driver problems that exist
currently. It seems to me you could do that pretty trivially with a
gnome-speech server that you would activate first.

	Of course; the API as we know is pretty noddy - but the noddier the
better for retaining backwards compatibility - and you still have the
same issue with whatever you wrap it in.

	Then of course there is the Java angle - the C binding doesn't make
life any easier for Java/Python etc. which are unlikely to want to write
extra custom bindings for gnome-speech - esp. in it's not-uber-stable
API state; CORBA/IDL de-couples you from the linking problems there.

	Finally of course - I'm not totally convinced that a bus architecture
necessarily maps that well to speech (but then I know little about
this).

	Hmm,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot