Re: GtkMediaPlayer widget

Ronald Bultje wrote:

How is this different from a GtkImage with a GdkPixbufAnimation in it?
Don't redesign things...

The gstreamer pixbuf loader is a cool hack, but it's not the simple, developer-friendly, media-player focused interface I'm looking for.

I agree whole-heartedly with something Mr. Quintero said yesterday in an unrelated thread:

   The GdkPixbufAnimation API is really *not* designed to be used for
   video. It's basically a crude mechanism to cope with abominations such
   as animated GIFs. [1]

   If you want video-in-a-widget, write a GstVideoWidget that you can use
   as a sink for video streams. I don't know the GStreamer API or even the
   right names for the concepts it uses, but you get the idea.

   [1] This is not a "GIFs are evil" issue; it is just that GdkPixbuf is
   designed for static images, and animations are rather an afterthought.

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon real com