Re: Gtk/Gnome release schedules

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 19:11, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>   - GNOME 2.4 comes out built on GTK+ 2.2
>
>   - GTK+ 2.4 comes out with new file selector, which is still accessible
>     through the old, arsey API/ABI
>
>   - Users upgrade to GTK+ 2.4 and most likely get a pretty new - but not the
>     super dooper GNOMEified one-size-fits-all - file selector (there'll be
>     breakage in places, sure, I don't know how Owen is going to deal with
>     compatibility in this case -> perhaps "undefined behaviour"?  yuck,
>     yuck, yuck)

I am no Owen :-), but due to the way the current GTK file selector API
works, I believe there is no way in hell you can wrap the new, sane file
selector into the old "arsey" API/ABI.  It just exposes too much stuff
and applications go touch the widgets directly all the time.

So you do need the new API in place somewhere for the GNOME 2.4 apps to
use it.

-- Ettore