Re: Gtk/Gnome release schedules

Hey,

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 05:35, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:28:25PM +0100, Chris Chabot wrote:

> Enthused by how well GNOME 2.2 went over (in large part I think due to
> the short release time since 2.0), I'm leaning a bit toward GNOME 2.4
> in 6 months (or perhaps 7). And that means one of:
>
>  - doing what you suggest above (possibly with a private dynamic lib
>    instead of libegg)
>  - cramming GTK down to 4 months
>  - keeping GTK at 9 and no filesel in 2.4
>
> I just hate to lose the asskicking effects we get from putting out
> rapidfire GNOME releases. Regular releasing is just more important
> than any one feature - yes, even the file selector.

	I have to say that I'm in greatly in favour of the last option.
Starting 2.5 development knowing for a fact that we're going to get the
file selector sorted for 2.6, and that's its going to have seen a lot of
developer/user testing by the time GTK 2.4 and GNOME 2.6 released is
really the best option, IMHO.

	We know pretty much for certain it will in GNOME 2.6. That's good
enough for me, at least. I'd hate to see a mess being made out of it or
the release itself, just for the sake of having it released with GNOME 6
months earlier.

Good Luck,
Mark.