Re: Metacity 2.4.8

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 19:28:11 -0500
> From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
> To: James Drabb <JDrabb tampabay rr com>
> Cc: Gnome-Desktop <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: Metacity 2.4.8
>
> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 07:14:06PM -0500, James Drabb wrote:
> >

> They aren't modal, just on top. Dialogs go on top.

because if they dont go on top the unpleasant alternative is that you will
have some dialog buried underneath blocking your progress and you will be
left totally clueless as to why the program has seemingly locked up (i say
this from experience.  mozilla: one browser to rule them all).

> Everyone seems to want the mozilla download dialogs to
> a) be in the tasklist b) not be on top c) have maximize/minimize
> buttons etc.
>
> What this means is that they should maybe not be dialogs. We shouldn't
> break every other dialog just because an app uses a dialog when it
> should use a main window. The right thing to do is file a mozilla bug
> report.

The mozilla download manager is definately worth trying.  You can set your
preferences for the download manager so that download dialogs are not
shown at all and instead only the download manager appears, it can also be
set not to pop to the front (i think, usual disclaimers apply).

Hope that helps

Sincerely
Alan Horkan.