Re: default panel configuration

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 19:29, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 09:26:19PM +0000, iain wrote:
> > man, 2003-01-06 kl. 20:48 skrev Mark McLoughlin:
> >
> > > 	Yes, but I think most users will be confused with an empty grab handle
> > > on the panel - that's why I don't want it there by default. Maybe that's
> > > more a bug with the applet rather than a reason to not have it there by
> > > default, though ...
> >
> > Might be nice if it's automatically added or at least pops up a dialog
> > saying "This program wants to add an icon to the panel notification area
> > which you don't have on your panel. Would you like to add it now? [Yes,
> > add the panel notification area] [NO PISS OFF AND NEVER TELL ME AGAIN]"
> >
> > or something to that effect.
> >

> I apologize if I'm being dense but where would this be useful to
> not allow a an icon on the notification area?  Couldn't they have
> just turned that off on some option on the application? (ie gaim
> for instance has this)

I believe he meant that only if you do not have the notification area, a
dialog should pop up asking if you want to place one on your panel.  It
shouldn't automatically just do this, because you might not want one at
all - and it could be a real pain if you have to disable the option in
every app that offers one.