Re: nautilus-media question

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Alexander Larsson">
>
> > I just changed the thumbnailer configuration to be stored in GConf.
>
> This is a very cool change, but:
>
>   - Dave has done a release of Nautilus for RC1, so I would assume that it's
>     deep-frozen now - will you be doing another release for RC1 with this
>     change? (to push the deep-freeze excuse out of the way)

Its a libgnomeui change. And will be in the RC1 tarball.

>   - *Very* fine line between bugfix and feature.

*cough*

I wouldn't classify it as a feature, as the actual feature was there
before. But it is a bit more than a bugfix, as its a user-visible change
in how you configure it.

>   - Are you comfortable with the amount of testing time left for this
>     change, especially given that its first appearance will be in our first
>     release candidate?

Yes. It is a quite small code change (just read the commandline from gconf
instead of a file), and with this change I think thumbnailers in general
will get more testing (as they won't be so hidden). Of course, more
people testing it could lead to more instability if there are problems in
the actual thumbnailing code.

> With my Jeff hat on, this change is totally cool, makes thumbnailers sane,
> and should definitely go in before our elite thumbnailing technology finds
> users.
>
> With my release hat on [1], this is a good change, but beyond almost all of
> our freezes and appearing for the first time in RC1. Plus, nothing was
> mailed to the release team about it (which is somewhat relevant given that
> it's not really a simple bugfix, and we're so close to release).

Andersca and I have talked about doing this change for quite some time, as
it would make thumbnailers a lot more sane. But none of us really had the
time to do it before christmas, so I admit then when I had time to do it I
was sort of overenthusiastic to getting it in before RC1 (which andersca
was preparing).

> I know that we haven't had a lot of hacking time for 2.2, but we have to say
> no at some stage to get this stuff out on time, and as bug-free as possible.
> Please, everyone, keep that in mind. It would be great to avoid a lengthy
> series of point releases now that we've got a sane release process.

Yes, and I'm sorry about this. I should know better as I've been spanked
by the release-team before...

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a Nobel prize-winning devious grifter with a secret. She's a warm-hearted
winged traffic cop on the trail of a serial killer. They fight crime!