Re: Unbreaking the gnome clipboard

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 21:09, Mark Finlay wrote:
> Right now in gnome, IMHO, the clipboard is broken. You can't
> copy something into the clipboard, close the program, and then
> paste. This is really frustrating. What's worse is that all
> we need to fix this is a simple deamon running in the background
> that manages the clipboard.

Yeah, I think people have generally agreed that this is the solution.

>  And what's even worse is that one
> already exists:
>
> http://gcm.sourceforge.net/
>
> Gcm includes a clipboard manager ui (not very important IMHO),
> and a clipboard managment deamon, which goes a very long way
> to totally fixing the clipboard.

I tried this once. The UI is way too complicated (I think it's for
hackers testing their apps rather than users), but maybe the daemon is
suitable.

>  I know it's probably way too
> late to start trying to get this included in 2.4

Yeah, but it's never too early to start preparing it, or something like
it, for GNOME 2.6

--
Murray Cumming
murray usa net