RE: [Setup-tool-hackers] RE: 2.4: System Tools - Please try them

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 22:47, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> I can only say that this was not my experience. I found the old MacOS 7
> (GNOME-like) control menus much easier. I find it much easier to find
> something alphabetically after I have remembered its name than to find it
> somewhere in a big window of stuff. Maybe it's just that the MacOS X control
> panels seem arbitrarily divided and categorised. Anyway, this is just one
> data point.

Having been a Mac since the 512k I must say I agree.
I do not like the OS X way of doing it, it takes up way too much space
on the screen real estate etc.

I much prefer to go to the main menu and find it by its name in a
submenu.

I really like the way it is done now in gnome 2.2
The Desktop Preferences menu with stuff as a submenu of that - though it
can be a little misleading (as gnome-seutup-tools is not desktop
preferences in my mind)

I also like the fact that nautilus can go to preferences:/// and display
the contents of that menu.
I think that gdm puts its stuff in the wrong place (in System Tools
where stuff like the floppy formatter and System Monitor are) - but
other than cleaning up where certain things are put (and maybe calling
the menu something not as exclusive as Desktop Preferences) the only
thing I would change is to make the gnome menu a little more like
classic Mac OS (functionally anyway).

Clicking on Desktop Preferences (as opposed to using the submenus)
should open a Nautilus Window to preferences:/// (and imho the same with
the other menu items).