Re: Bug reporting [Was: Promoting greater integration between testers!:)]

<quote who="Luis Villa">

> On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 15:23, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > I guess it comes down to whether you want to cultivate a
> > triaging/testing team to confirm and manage GTK+ bugs, or leave
> > everything to the hackers. :-)
>
> It's nearly impossible for a triage team to do anything useful with
> libraries, outside of very, very obvious duplicate hunting, and even that
> is easy to screw up at the library level. There just aren't many
> low-hanging fruit (most people who file bugs against libraries know what
> they are doing) and you need experience in (at least) the APIs being
> referenced to be useful; anyone who has experience with the gtk APIs
> should be coding, not bug tracking :)

Sure, that's why I said "triaging/testing" above. It would make no sense for
non-knowledgable/testing bugsquad people to work on GTK+ or library bugs. A
test team for libraries might be an interesting "get new hackers involved"
vector, despite sounding boring ("if it has educational benefit, helping me
really grok the libraries, I'd do it").

But it would take work on the part of library maintainers to attract and
build such a team.

- Jeff

--
Get Informed: SCO vs. IBM                            http://sco.iwethey.org/

   "I came for the quality, but I stayed for the freedom." - Sean Neakums