Re: [Usability]A Tale of a Toolbar editor

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 04:24:48PM +0100, Chipzz wrote:

> This is the one thing I absolutely _hate_ about anjuta2 (I think it's a
> really cool app for the rest): I just told gnome via the control-center
> I do _not_ want priority text on my toolbars. So why should anjuta (or
> any app using libbonoboui for that matter) try to outsmart me and use a
> different setting.

I also override the default toolbar format for Gnumeric, and force
things to be icon only.  At times the app maintainer knows, via user
testing, bug reports, or familiarity with their app, that allowing
the default will be butt ugly.

> But, one thing that I really want to point out is, libbonoboui
> is _not_ portable. It requires a GtkSocket/GtkPlug, which are X specific.
> Which makes code using libbonoboui, and consequently all libraries de-
> pending on it, also unportable to the framebuffer and to windows.
> Which brings me to conclude that maybe we should introduce a new library
> below libbonoboui but above Gtk+/libglade.

I'm with you on the non-portability.  It is the main reason Gnumeric
is burning libgnome depends as fast as it can.  However, its not
clear to me why the result should live above gtk.  Decent toolbar
and menu management tools seem fairly integral to most gui
applications.