Re: [Usability]A Tale of a Toolbar editor

Jody Goldberg wrote:

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 04:24:48PM +0100, Chipzz wrote:
This is the one thing I absolutely _hate_ about anjuta2 (I think it's a
really cool app for the rest): I just told gnome via the control-center
I do _not_ want priority text on my toolbars. So why should anjuta (or
any app using libbonoboui for that matter) try to outsmart me and use a
different setting.

I also override the default toolbar format for Gnumeric, and force
things to be icon only.  At times the app maintainer knows, via user
testing, bug reports, or familiarity with their app, that allowing
the default will be butt ugly
.

Well I(and other on the ui team i'm sure) would counter that the problem is that gnumeric[1] has too many default toolbar items. The lack of labels (when this is the users preference) slows users down as they have to wait for the tooltips to pop up in order to find out what certain buttons do. Of course if we had decent toolbar editting, a lot of items could be removed by default and more advance users could add the more advance toolbar buttons if they wanted to.

dave

[1] Of course overuse of toolbars in office apps is almost a tradition now.