Re: [Usability]A Tale of a Toolbar editor

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 17:06, iain wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 15:57, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 04:24:48PM +0100, Chipzz wrote:
> > >
> > > This is the one thing I absolutely _hate_ about anjuta2 (I think it's a
> > > really cool app for the rest): I just told gnome via the control-center
> > > I do _not_ want priority text on my toolbars. So why should anjuta (or
> > > any app using libbonoboui for that matter) try to outsmart me and use a
> > > different setting.
> >
> > I also override the default toolbar format for Gnumeric, and force
> > things to be icon only.  At times the app maintainer knows, via user
> > testing, bug reports, or familiarity with their app, that allowing
> > the default will be butt ugly.
>
> And as it stands, I am going to keep the app authors ability to override
> the gnome default. Seeing as they already can with the API and as Jody
> says applications will often look butt ugly. Personally, I think option
> c (in my original mail that started this) would have been a better, if
> harder to do idea, but no-one seemed to care about it, so I'm not going
> to bother with it.
>
> iain

A lot of people want the ability to override the "GNOME default,"
judging from this thread.

Just thinking outside of the box here, maybe this is somewhere where a
default doesn't make much sense and we should scrap the default
entirely?

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"If we eventually have the ubercool component system - based on Bonobo, or
something else - then great, we can then proxy it over IIOP, D-BUS, SOAP,
and morse code." -- hp