Re: 2.4 Module List and Rationale (aka GEP10 and 11)

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 17:55, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 20:43, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> > I'd like to propose the GNOME System Tools for 2.4, personally, I think
> > that they carry out the goal of desktop integration (btw, I still have a
> > couple of patches in my TODO list for improving this issue) and they are
> > cross-platform (some tools don't work still in some platforms, but this
> > is being fixed :-) ). any opinion?
>
> I don't know that this is that good of an idea - most distros, which is
> where users get their GNOME generally, have their own tools.
>
> As much as I love these tools (being on a distro without their own tools
> ;-) putting this in the official GNOME isn't something I'd recommend.
> Vendors are likely just going to ignore this part.
>
> It would be nice to see these tools become more "official" in several
> distros tho - Debian is coming to mind as one, Slackware as another.  Or
> my FreeBSD laptop... ;-)

If anything, the fact that most distributions currently ship with their
own, "proprietary" (for various definitions of proprietary)
administration tools should be one *more* reason to include GST in the
GNOME Desktop.  While distributions are free to brand their desktops
however they like, there really should be a "GNOME Standard" way to do
system configuration tasks.  I don't know if GST is yet ready to be
included, but when it is, I think it should be included.
--
Shahms E. King <shahms shahms com>