Re: 2.4 Module List and Rationale (aka GEP10 and 11)

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 21:53, Shahms E. King wrote:

> If anything, the fact that most distributions currently ship with their
> own, "proprietary" (for various definitions of proprietary)
> administration tools should be one *more* reason to include GST in the
> GNOME Desktop.  While distributions are free to brand their desktops
> however they like, there really should be a "GNOME Standard" way to do
> system configuration tasks.  I don't know if GST is yet ready to be
> included, but when it is, I think it should be included.

All you end up with there is two ways to do the same thing, which isn't
that user-friendly.  Distros will need their own tools anyhow, since GST
generally doesn't do nearly as much as any of the larger distros' custom
tools.

What *might* be an idea tho is to push GST more as a framework than as
the actual tools themselves - if vendors just plugged more custom
modules into GST for their needed customization, then it makes sense to
make it a part of GNOME.

Otherwise, you've got a supported "standard core part of gnome" that
nobody uses, which is pretty silly.  Standards aren't enforced, they're
embraced.  ^,^

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.