Re: 2.4 Module List and Rationale (aka GEP10 and 11)

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 18:32, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:54:44AM +0000, mpeseng tin it wrote:
> > I think the advantages of Galeon/Epiphany at the moment are:
> >
> > 1 Native widgets (the native theme thing even if would work perfectly would
> > solve only part of the problem)
> > 2 HIG compliance
> > 3 Use of system prefs (proxy, toolbars...)
> > 4 Simpler interface (Phoenix could help here)
> > 5 Mime types/protocols integration
> >

> Another possible advantage is keeping our GUI shell more orthogonal to
> the layout engine; not having looked at the code, I could imagine
> porting epiphany/galeon to something other than gecko if we ever end
> up wanting to do that, without causing much end user disruption.
> While with mozilla you have the xul chrome tightly bound up with the
> gecko engine.

Galeon has very rudimentary support for using gtkhtml2 as renderer.  You
can click on links to navigate, but that's about it, no history, no
cookies, no nothing, really.  It was just a test to see if it was
possible (Marco did plan to support different renderers originally, I
think, but in practice no one cares about anything but gecko.)

It's possible, but it would need quite a bit of work to get it even
close to being useful, effort probably better spent on concentrating on
gecko.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 tommi komulainen iki fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6