Re: Panel behaviour under Xinerama

<quote who="Alexander Larsson">

> On Thu, 8 May 2003, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > It can, because you can change the relationship between the screens. In
> > fact, I used to do exactly this when I used Xinerama (with two different
> > resolutions and monitor sizes) and GNOME 1.4 all the time. Reason being,
> > I used a panel at the bottom which extended across the entire Xinerama
> > display.
>
> Ok. Then we should be able to detect this case and instead not have a full
> panel on the top of the screen.

You know, I really don't think the top panel should span both displays
anyway. Good thing is with the new panel, you can easily create another
panel on the other screen that can operate very similarly to the foobar -
we're not blocking on the "only one foobar" thing anymore.

Perhaps each panel ought to have "span displays" prefernce, available only
when Xinerama is present? It would probably be better to figure out a "just
works" behaviour...

I guess that would mean that panels span screens by default, and panel
objects snap to the Xinerama edges, so you never have one straddling the
edge. Thoughts?

- Jeff

     Broken hearts rarely come with "Some Assembly Required" stickers.