Re: new menu vfs backend

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 12:11:29AM -0400, Jody Goldberg was heard to remark:
> On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 10:39:18PM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 10:54:21PM -0400, Havoc Pennington was heard to remark:
> > >
> > > I'm not immediately planning to do an editor GUI, just leave the
> > > current edit mechanism (moving around vfs files in nautilus).
> >
> > Mmmm, now that's interesting (and shows how I'm not keeping up with
> > things).  Let me get this straight: somewhere, there's a magic VFS
> > plugin that converts menus to VFS and back?  Is this what you're
> > writing?   I'm a little nervous about launching nautilus to edit
> > menu, but, hey, its not a bad idea, it could grow on me ...
> >
> > Maybe I should scrap my menu editor ...
>
> I have a feeling you folk are talking about different things.
>
> HP is writing a mechanism for editing panel menus based on .desktop
> files.

Right, but that's what got me thinking ... what's good for the goose
is good for the gander.    If this is the right technology for panel
menus, why, exactly, wouldn't a slightly tweaked version of this
be appropriate for an app toolbar?

> Linas I get the impression you are talking about an application
> editing its menu/toolbar.  If so it would be useful to base this
> around egg menu/toolbar and to coordinate with the epiphany folk who
> have done a toolbar editor.

The explicit instability of egg is scary, as my app is 'production';
Hopefully I can have an epiphany with google, right?

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>