Re: SVG format in metacity, gtk, desklets and build system for Gnome

W liÅ?cie z czw, 04-09-2003, godz. 13:40, Thomas Vander Stichele pisze:
> Hi,
>
> > > A beginner will use its distro binary packages...
> >
> > Which are awful.
>
> crap.  (either the argument or the distro)

> then go for it.
>

> Basically you're saying "every way out there of doing it is crap" and
> "the idea I'm going to have is going to be better than all other ways".
> So the next logical step is to show us an implementation that works in
> order to convince us.

No, I wasn't saying - I was asking:
"Don't you think that Gnome desktop could have it's own modern build
system, which could be fast and effective?"

And later i was asking (because I'm not C/C++ coder):

"I rather think that I could create some service like Ximian does but
really based on Java engine and I would like to use Ant, Jelly, and
other XML based technologies to generate shell scripts user could
downolad and build binaries preconfigured and optimized for his needs -
just something like more andvanced and interactive rpm spec files.

Maybe you could give me some opinions what do you think about this idea?
Is it worth to spend some time and energy on this?"

And I still don't see any answer for my questions.

I'm sure you all know what are advantages of GNU build system, rpm, apt
and so on... and my question is still opened:

Don't you think that Gnome should be _above_ this and have some _own_,
dedicated, visual (this just should be Gnome application) tool for
fetching, building, installing, upgradeing?

I just don't want to use on single machine tools like redcarpet (for
system and xd2), apt (for other optional packages - for example
rhythmbox from http://dag.wieers.com) and build another gnome
applications by hand (for example http://ggadu.sourceforge.net/).

I know that maybe you think that it is "natural" but I don't like it.
I would like to have one way to build and upgrade my environment.

That's all.

--
Marcin Antczak <marcin antczak e-dev pl>