Re: PATCH for 2.4.0: Correct default panel size

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 10:31, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Loban A Rahman">
>
> > > Good point - I guess we'll just have to leave it that new users to 2.4.0
> > > will have insanely large panels :/
> >
> > Yeah, I thought our big thing was It Just Works (TM). Hence, the look of
> > the default desktop should be a show-stopper bug.
>
> "Just Works" has nothing to do with "look", and 12 pixels does not make for
> a show-stopper bug. If this was important enough to fix, it would have been
> fixed long, long before we were between release candidate and final.

Actually, I have to disagree here.

(1) showstopper has a lot to do with 'look'. showstopper is all about
visibility and user impact, and particularly about impact on new users
trying to assess GNOME. 'look' is a huge factor in that.

(2) this is a bug that has a /very/ low probability of being caught in
our testing process (very few new accounts get created against the beta)
so the relationship between 'it is important' and 'it was found and
fixed' is virtually nil.

So, I'd like to see it go in, given that even I'm able to verify that it
is correct.

Luis