Re: network://

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 16:02 -0700, Ian McKellar wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 15:27, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > >
> > yes, the plan is to provide a set of classes in a libgnetwork library,
> > so that other GNOME apps can use it. We are right now waiting on
> > approval from gmdns author to integrate it in our libgnetwork. (gmdns is
> > in GNOME CVS).
>
> I've been slacking on replying because I've been trying to get a chance
> to clean up the changes that are in my tree committed. If its holding
> anyone up feel free to copy if over and I can patch against whats in
> libgnomenetwork when I'm ready. I still need to rewrite the dns parser
> from mdnsd to fix some bugs.

if it makes it more difficult for you to patch against libgnetwork,
we'll wait for you to finish that work and then move it to libgnetwork.

Or if you want, you can commit what you've got, move the stuff to
libgnetwork, and continue working there.

Do as you prefer.

> And then we need to resolve if we want a per-user responder daemon or
> want each application to respond for the services they provide.

I've read that starting multiple responders was a problem in Mac OS. I
may have misunderstood though, but if that's the case, I guess a
system-wide daemon could work, couldn't it? It could have an easy way
for user apps to announce the services they provide.

What are your preferences?

cheers