Re: Nautilus 2.6 - We're going all spatial

I don't think your clicks add up:

On 16Sep2003 09:10PM (+0100), Andrew Sobala wrote:

> Spatial: Open home. Open b1. Click on home window to bring to front. Open b2.
> Click on home window to bring to front. Close home window. Drag file.
> Close b1. Close b2. TOTAL: 9 clicks.

1) The Finder, and most other Spatial-oriented file managers, let you
do a modified click (option-Click on the Mac) to open a new window
while closing the one it came from. If you use that to open b2. You
might argue that it's non-obvious, but it's no less obvious than the
context menu to people familiar with the platform.

2) Why is it necessary to close the home window before doing the drag,
instead of after closing the other windows?

Adjusting for these two things I get:

Open home. Open b1. Click on home window to bring to
front. Option-click b2 to open it and close home. Drag file.  Close
b1. Close b2. TOTAL: 7 clicks.

> Navigation: Open home. Open b1 in new window (2 clicks). Open b2 in
> original window., Drag file. Close b1. Close b2. TOTAL: 7 clicks.

How come going back to the home window costs a click in the Spatial
case but not the Navigation case? I don't think most new window
operations open the window behind.

Adding that in, I get 8 clicks.

Also, this scenarios assume you don't have the home folder open
already, and don't want it left open when you are done. I leave the
counting if you change these assumptions as an excercise to the
reader.

Regards,

Maciej