Re: Nautilus 2.6 - We're going all spatial

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 21:43, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I don't think your clicks add up:
>
> On 16Sep2003 09:10PM (+0100), Andrew Sobala wrote:
> >
> > Spatial: Open home. Open b1. Click on home window to bring to front. Open b2.
> > Click on home window to bring to front. Close home window. Drag file.
> > Close b1. Close b2. TOTAL: 9 clicks.
>
> 1) The Finder, and most other Spatial-oriented file managers, let you
> do a modified click (option-Click on the Mac) to open a new window
> while closing the one it came from. If you use that to open b2. You
> might argue that it's non-obvious, but it's no less obvious than the
> context menu to people familiar with the platform.

I can't find such a key with my nautilus. And it is extremely
non-obvious: context menus are standard in the platform. A modified
click is not. And we could have a modified click to open in a new window
for the navigation window if we were really into this :)

> 2) Why is it necessary to close the home window before doing the drag,
> instead of after closing the other windows?
>
> Adjusting for these two things I get:
>
> Open home. Open b1. Click on home window to bring to
> front. Option-click b2 to open it and close home. Drag file.  Close
> b1. Close b2. TOTAL: 7 clicks.

Yes, I argue that a modified click is pure crack :)

> > Navigation: Open home. Open b1 in new window (2 clicks). Open b2 in
> > original window., Drag file. Close b1. Close b2. TOTAL: 7 clicks.
>
> How come going back to the home window costs a click in the Spatial
> case but not the Navigation case? I don't think most new window
> operations open the window behind.
>
> Adding that in, I get 8 clicks.

That's been corrected by Iain. Everyone laugh at Andrew, he can't add :)
If we go down this route of analysis, we need to look at more cases. I
could be wrong in my clicks, though.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>