Re: Nautilus 2.6 - We're going all spatial

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 16:10, Andrew Sobala wrote:

> It's interesting to look at the "number of clicks" to do different jobs
> with the navigation and OO metaphores.
>
> eg: Moving a file from ~/a/b1/ to ~/a/b2
>
> Oo: Open home. Open b1. Click on home window to bring to front. Open b2.
> Click on home window to bring to front. Close home window. Drag file.
> Close b1. Close b2. TOTAL: 9 clicks.

These "click home window to bring to front" are wasteful.  Another
advantage of spatial management is that windows can be much smaller.  If
the WM does the intelligent thing it usually doesn't and avoids stacking
windows, you'll generally not need to raise the home window.  Removing
those two operations results in a total of...

> Navigation: Open home. Open b1 in new window (2 clicks). Open b2 in
> original window., Drag file. Close b1. Close b2. TOTAL: 7 clicks.

7 clicks.  ~,^

> And this is the case with most examples I can think of.

I think one thing that's wrong here is that people are saying "this is
going to not work" while they have no idea *how* its going to work.  Why
not wait for the changes to be usable (they're in CVS, iirc, on a
particular branch, no?) and then actually *try* the interface, and see
which problems are real, and which are just baseless assumptions.  ~,^

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.