Re: Volume handling proposal

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 13:50, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > I don't like this idea. The reason we went to ~/Desktop was to have the
> > desktop directory visible. Having it sometimes there and sometimes not
> > (people might not immediately grasp the reasons its sometimes hidden)
> > can be frustrating when you're looking for it and you know it was there
> > before.
> >
> > I think that while the desktop->home->desktop loop is a bit "strange" it
> > doesn't really affect the mental model, because you probably see the
> > home icon and the other volume as links, a concept we expose at various
> > places in the desktop.
> >

> OK, I agree that it can be confusing to hide it in some places and show
> it in some other places.
>
> Though, i'd like to know what will happen if I open "Home" in spacial
> nautilus and, then, double-click on "Desktop". Will it open "Desktop" in
> a new window or will it hide all windows and show the desktop (the way
> the "show desktop" applet does it) ? After all, isn't the desktop just
> special directory opened at startup ?

Some people have proposed that this should behave like the "show
desktop" applet. At the moment what happens is that you get a normal
spatial window that has all the real files from the desktop, but not the
home/trash/volume icons. We need to experiment a bit with this to see
what the best solution is.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a deeply religious moralistic rock star with a winning smile and a way
with the ladies. She's a green-fingered belly-dancing lawyer with the soul of
a mighty warrior. They fight crime!