Re: An entirely different angle on the GNOME VFS

hi :)

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:37:21AM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	The thing is - you're fighting a deployment battle, and if this is the
> only technique, we arrive at a situation where Gnome will only run well
> on brand-new and/or 'development' kernels. We also create the burden of
> maintaining / back-porting potentially large kernel patches into every
> distro / vendor's kernel.
i'm not at all suggesting to use kernel patches!
in fact, i proposed to solve the problem in userspace, but
using the normal operating system interface to access the vfs-daemon
(or whatever).

every unix system should be able to mount nfs volumes.
so an userspace nfs server should be portable over a wide range of
systems.
the advantage is that _every_ application can simply use open/read/write
to operate on vfs.

however, unix/nfs semantics may not match vfs semantics.
building a useful mapping to nfs will be the hard part, i guess.

there may be other possibilities to implement file systems in userspace,
nfs is just one that i can think of atm.

--
CU,		  / Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen, Germany
Martin Waitz	//  Department of Computer Science 3       _________