Re: spatial stuff detail

Am 22.09.2003 03:04:40 schrieb(en) Sean Middleditch:
On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 19:17, John Siracusa wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2003, at 6:41 PM, Sean Middleditch wrote:

Which is the point - Linux is more pluggable, and thus less "stable,"
meaning the app folders don't really work that well in comparison.
Even
the simplest of apps in Linux is going to require a couple
dependencies
that a basic system probably wouldn't have.  Unless you start saying

What is a basic system? I've installed RHat-8.0 as Workstation/ Developer. /usr/lib alone is 650M big. On the other hand I've assembled a system which take only 300M alltogether (without devel-stuff). On this system you can install *any* application for Gnome2, KDE3, Tcl/Tk, Motif as a single Application directory with no external dependencies whatsoever. The truth is the number of popular libraries is really small. 90% of the libraries out there are only being used by 1-3 applications. The sane thing to do is to bundle them with the appdir. you might end up with 2-3 copies of the same library on your disk. So what? You won't lose disk space when you link it in statically, because the apps will only link in a certain percentage of the library each, and you can strip-all the executable - not the shared library. Memory usage will go up only very rarely either, because most of the less ubicitous libs are domain specific. How many media-players, MUA's, games, word processors... do you run simultaneously? More than one of each category? Dependency hell is largely a problem of packagers not seeing the forrest for all the trees.

Appdirs won't work well with "anything goes" distros like Debian or Gentoo. You are absolutely right about this. But that's their problem. Distro's aimed at the end-user or corporate desktop are no longer like this but increasingly focused. This is true for the "big three", but even more so for upstarts like Xandros, Lindows, Lycoris. You may hate this. But this is the future of Linux. Or it doesn't deserve to gain a considerable share of the pie.

I'm not the blind talking about color. I've packaged ca. 150 mostly Gnome based apps as appdirs. And most of them __relocatable__ no less. Meaning you can drop them anywhere you please on your HD, like your home dir if you have no root privileges. Of course due to the hackish ad-hoc approach most Gnome apps take to resource finding, I had to modify the sources to overcome the Unix-head hard-wiring madness.
Notable exceptions are GIMP and Abiword which are cleanly programmed.
KDE has library calls for resource finding so KDE apps are relocatable out of the box, unless the programmer does something stupid.