Re: Request for GNOME2.8 inclusion: Cantus 3

On mån, 2004-04-05 at 10:52 +0200, Samuel Abels wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 01:17, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> > søn, 04.04.2004 kl. 21.41 +0200, skrev Samuel:

Hi,

> > > * GTK2-based
> > > * Full Plugin support
> > > * ID3V1, ID3V2 (mp3/flac) and OGG (Vorbis) support
> >
> > Are we really comfortable with patented stuff in the core desktop? Can
> > these be separated out or do they just appear if the user installs the
> > proper plugins for gstreamer?
>
> Cantus does /not/ include any mp3 en-/decoder, which I know may raise
> patent issues. But I am not aware of any patents on ID3 or OGG tags. Am
> I wrong?
> That said, all tags are implemented as plugins; it is easy to remove
> them (but there is currently no installer switch to do that).

Doesn't Rhythmbox provide this functionality? And since Rhythmbox
(afaik) is going into 2.8 we would then have one application that will
both play the music and change the tags and then we'll have another
application that can only change the tags.

What's the reason to have both, is id3 tag editing in Rhythmbox really
hard (or did I get it wrong that it does have it?)

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal
--
Imendio HB, http://www.imendio.com/