GNOME DB's (Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8)

A few comments on the DB topic.

1. It was commented that a DB's too heavy for things like egg-recent.
Alone, that might be true. But how many places could a database come in
handy? If used all over, it could provide great features, polish, and
speed up development time.

2. On requiring a system daemon. I've seen a few databases added to
other projects by reassigning the port number/socket. We could easily
provide a special config file for PostgreSQL or another DB to run one
per user. We could provide the package as part of GNOME so we can
automatically configure it, set it up for the user, add our schema, etc.
Nothing extra for a user to do that he doesn't already need to.

3. A DB in no way replaces a file system. As previously mentioned, they
are really bad at hierarchical data. But, file systems are bad at
relational data. What we really need is both, not to ignore the benefits
of RDBMS because they aren't file systems.

4. On GNOME-DB. I would really like to see this used, but no offense to
the hard workers on the GNOME-DB team, but when is it going to be ready
for real use? I've been watching it from time to time ever since it
started. I tried it again today. It still doesn't work reliably. The
project shows great promise, but seems to be making little progress in
the many years its been in development. (Please prove me wrong. :)