Re: patch to gnome-session: smooth fade on logout

On Mer, 2004-04-21 at 15:17, Sander Vesik wrote:
> Don't be silly - as GPL contains a patent-grant, it doesn't matter if
> patent implementing patches are sent to upstream by Sun or not, just
> having it somewhere (which is guaranteed by GPL) allows you to use both
> the patch and the patent, at least in code derived from patched
> gnome-session.

True and this is an important GPL property

> Sun isn't in the business of filing for silly patents anyways.

False. Sun claims such patents as "Shopping cart",
http://l2.espacenet.com/espacenet/viewer?PN=EP807891&CY=gb&LG=en&DB=EPD
and are currently heavily lobbying the EU to adopt US style patent
disasters. I do appreciate however that Sun employees and Sun may not
share the same views.

Alan